Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thanksgiving and Christmas Trees

Hope that you all had a great Thanksgiving! We had a good time celebrating for several days. Here are a few of the things we have been up to over the last week. Sorry for the super long post, there was just too much that happened over the week.



Isn't that the most beautiful turkey? You may call me Saint Nicole because I made the whole Thanksgiving feast on Wednesday just for our little family so that we would have our own leftovers. I was quite impressed with myself because, not to brag, but this was the best turkey I have ever had. I brined the turkey overnight, which I had never done before, and that made it really delicious and moist. Then I rubbed it with an herb butter that I made with fresh sage and rosemary and lots of garlic and it was so yummy. I also made homemade stuffing, rolls, jello salad (which the kids love because I only make jello for Thanksgiving) and pumpkin dessert.

Thursday we headed down to Nick's mom's house and had Thanksgiving with her. Jaxton was having a great time playing with everyone.


Nick's sister Emily was also there, here she is texting on her phone.

Me in the after dinner festivities.



Thursday night we headed on down to my mom and dad's house in Visalia. My mom and I went out shopping on Friday, fighting the crowds and getting bullied by the many non english speakers. Honestly I can't believe how aggressive and rude some people are. My mom had her hand on a toy and some lady came up to her and said "I'm going to be taking that." My mom was so shocked that she gave it to her. We did get some good deals and got most of the things that we went for. We had a good time spending the whole day together, which we never get to do. Nick and Hannah, my sister were so good to spend the whole day with the kids. Nick even did laundry, kept my mom's house clean, fed the kids dinner and got them to bed. He also took the kids to the mall to see Santa, what a trooper!



We always get our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving, so we thought we would try and get one down in Visalia. Nick looked up some Christmas tree farms online and the closest one was about 40 miles away, so we headed out Saturday afternoon to get one. We drove out to the middle of nowhere, literally, and drove around trying to find the farm. We finally found a farm and they had about 25 trees and it was about $50 for a 3 foot tall bush, they weren't even trees. So we decided to cut our losses and get one at home.

While Hannah and I were out Saturday night, I spotted some nice looking trees in the Save Mart parking lot so we checked them out. We found the most beautiful tree, it looked like it was a fake tree it was so perfect. We went home and told my mom and she wanted us to go get it. So Nick, Hannah and I headed out in the "paint van." For those of you not familiar with the paint van, my dad used to paint houses and this was his work vehicle (I call it the child molester van because it has no side windows.) It is a 1992 white, Chevy van with no seats in the back. Hannah sat on a motorcycle rack in the back as there is no seats. I haven't been in the paint van since I lived at home and I really forgot how embarrassing it is. So we loaded up the tree and brought it home to my mom.

I let my mom have it instead of taking it for myself because she has not had a tree in several years. She bought a fake tree about 15 years ago after being tired of the cheap trees my dad wanted to get. It all came to a head one year when my dad bought a $6.99 tree at Allen's Supersave (the trashiest local grocery store) and it really was the Charlie Brown Christmas tree with about 15 branches on the whole tree. After that she bought the fake tree and then they through it away when they moved and since then they haven't had a tree at all.

So on our way home Sunday night, we stopped to get gas and we decided to check out the Save Mart and they had a really nice tree there as well and so we through it up on top of the minivan and traveled home Grizwald style with a giant tree up on our roof.

12 comments:

Kristine L. said...

Looks like fun! And a real Christmas tree? I can't believe it! This will be the most Christmasy Christmas I've had in years! (Preparing the house to sell, rental house with no one there and Mexico). Wahoo! Can't wait to see it!

Ashleigh said...

First, I am so, so impressed with Thanksgiving dinner by yourself! I will never move away from my mom for that reason. The description of the paint van is perfect and amazming tree!

Englishfam said...

That turkey is making me hungry! That is the downfall of having a huge family gathering for Thanksgiving, you never get any leftovers! I am also impressed with you for taking the initiative to do it yourself! I really wish I could have seen the Allen's 6.99 tree! haha I can't believe you guys still have the paint van too!! Memories...How did it make it to California?! Thanks for a good laugh!

Nicole said...

How did it make it to California you ask? IT DIDN'T!! My dad got stranded about an hour before he got to Bakersfield, in January, at 9:00 at night. So Nick and I went down there and loaded up everything that was of value in our truck and brought it to Visalia. I think that my dad has replaced the transmission 3 times, the alternator, starter, etc., etc. In fact, he was just touching up the paint last week, "it's practically brand new," he says. He could have a new car for all of that. Oh dad, gotta love him.

Mel said...

Thanks for the info of your weekend. Sounds like fun!! You are quite the cook, maybe I should do that next year so we have leftovers. The tree story was great, love the Molester van, I totally remember that van! Your dad is tooooooo funny. You are quite the daughter and daughter in law to haul all the kids all over the place. It is worth it though!!

Gaengy said...

Thanks for the funny post. And thanks Nicole for all the help with the tree. Nick was a real trooper too! He worked hard fitting the 7 in base into the new super industrial tree stand and then cleaned up the huge mess in the court yard from it. Nicole was also an angel to put the lights on the tree. I hate that part. The kids will all be so impressed. Our tree is so pretty I feel like royalty!

Gaengy said...

Please dont limit the paint van to child molesters only. Sex offenders of any type would be proud to call it theirs. I assure you we have had trees since 1988 when I boughe the $6.99 tree, but none so memorable. I am sure they will forget about this years tree in short order and keep remembering the 1988 tree. This years tree is nice, I am sure Nick will need hernia surgery soon as it weighs 200 lbs or so. Thanks for setting it up, Thanks for the great weekend, and looking forward to having the family together for Christmas. Dad

The Baker said...

we can't wait to meet all of you! I just love kristine, it is always a treat to have her and Jordan come down to vegas and see us. I found out from her that you and I are the same age....you are just ahead of me in the kid department!

Kate said...

Ok, I am dying about this post. Literally sitting in my hotel dying! It brought a bunch of memories to life especially when remembering Angela and I getting a free high in the paint van thanks to us driving it around and spilling paint thinner everywhere. I can't wait to see this non-charlie brown tree. It's sure to be a Christmas Miracle. Love you.

riley said...

I was dying laughing at this post, and then was even more dying at MOM'S comments! No, true, not just for childmolesters. That is why I am wondering why she never said "van" full of... it was always "truck full of"... You can personally email anyone of my sisters to find out what I am talking about, I am NOT posting it here! Am I seriously the ONLY one who likes the van? I think it is good times riding in the van!

Anyway, Jaxton looks so big in the pic! Can't wait to see him next month!

Gaengy said...

Hey Nat
Just a clarification...dad posted that message about the child molester van on my account...he forgot his password so you will see he signed his name, but it was my account. And any way I had 5 girls I had to keep safe...if scary stories did the trick so be it!!!

Newman Family said...

Okay, so that is why I don't shop in Tulare. People are scary here. My first trip to Wal-mart Mark went with me. We were stopped two times going into the store for money, there was a girl bringing back a whole cartful of stuff she had just bought because her car was stolen in the parking lot, people were crowding all the lanes not moving so you couldn't get around and on the way out we were stopped by 3 people that were not the same as when we came in for money. They followed us to our car, Mark with his proffesional training said they were all drugged out. Pretty much after this experience said I was not allowed to go to Wal-mart by myself.
Looks like we probably passed eachother on the road. Make sure you call me the next time you come down. Are you coming out at all for Christmas?
Meg