Friday, March 14, 2008

Dad

This is a random picture of my dad that my mom sent to me for some reason. Don't ask me why he is wearing a flashlight on his head. Those of you who know my dad know that he has a very healthy sense of humor. He loves to tease and get a rise out of you. And he gets a huge kick out of himself.

Growing up, we all got pajamas Christmas Eve. Somehow my dad go involved in this tradition and into my teenage years he discovered that it is hilarious to buy us hideous things to wear. It started with buying my sisters housecoats for pjs, and it has gone everywhere from cow print pajamas to ones that say Princess all over them.

When we all started getting older and moving away and getting married, my dad decided it was time for a new tradition and instituted the family shirt tradition. He would go to Gen-X or some other fine retailer and find the most ridiculous shirt for each of us.

This is Nick's family shirt from this last year. In case you can't tell it is brightly colored skulls that are wearing gangster gear. It is nice, but not quite as nice as last year's which was a giant picture of Tupac, complete with rhinestone studded do-rag. My dad also bought himself some matching jeans that had the giant image of Tupac on his leg, complete with rhinestones and all.


We already got our shirts at Christmas, but my dad must have been feeling generous this year because he got us new shirts while we were all together for Kristine's wedding. Mine is a picture of Mr. Rogers, it says "it's good in the hood." Nick's is a picture of Borat that says "Very Nice!"
Ben and Natalie with their shirts.

Ben's says "thumb wrestling champion 1984." Natalie is a picture of a monkey passing gas, and it says "silent but deadly." I think she got the classiest shirt.

Katie, Kristine and Hannah excited about theirs.

Katie's is a chubby police officer that says "to serve and protect." Kristine and Hannah got matching Napoleon Dynamite shirts.

Thanks dad!

9 comments:

Katrina said...

What a fun Dad. I love it!

Ashleigh said...

Somedays (or most days) I wish I'd gotten to know the Gildea dad better. I did get to know a little. I'm thinking of the many family prayers that I was honored to be apart of before Nat and I could leave for the night. Anyway, I love the stories.

Gaengy said...

Gotta love the flashlight head. I just had to send it for all the corny pics dad has taken of me, I finally got one of him! If you think getting the shirts is fun you should try shopping with him. I am always somewhere in the store and then I look over and can always see him above the clothes racks laughing hysterically. I have tried to keep him under control but I am giving up after 30years and am learning to appreciate his "special" sence of humor!

Anonymous said...

Seriously, we are so lucky to have such a funny dad. I have been laughing so much still about our shirts and I am just glad to know if I want to pick another one up I can just head to Suzie's Deals.

Lisa said...

That is too funny! The world needs more dads like that!!

Natalie Que said...

You forgot to mention the BEST part o this whole fiasco, that it took place at Kristine's wedding dinner!

Nicole said...

Nat, yeah, you're right I probably should have mentioned that fact, it makes the story even more funny. I totally forgot to mention that.

Anonymous said...

That is too funny. What a riot.

Mel said...

That picture of your dad with the flashlight on his head makes me want to wet my pants with laughter. Is he driving the molestor van too? I love the shirt tradition. It is hilarious!