Thursday, April 3, 2008

Spoiler Alert



If you have not read Twilight, you probably don't want to read this post.

I previously mentioned that while Hayden was away on vacation I read the entire book Twilight. I am still not sure how I feel about it. I found the first half very slow, especially if you read the back cover where it plainly tells you that Edward is a vampire. Why didn't the publisher keep that part a secret since Stephenie Meyer didn't reveal that fact until the middle of the book? You have to read a good portion of the book to find out something that is written on the back cover.

I thought the second half was pretty good and mostly pretty enjoyable. Edward is oh so dreamy. However, the practical side of me (which if I am being honest with myself probably makes up 95% of my personality, I pretty much am a pretty practical kind of gal) was like "why would you give up being human and turn into a blood sucking vampire, for someone you just met? Bella, I think you need to think about this a little more." It was all just a little over the top for me. I know that makes me sound old and motherly, but I am sorry, that is who I am.

From what I have heard and read online, everybody pretty much likes Twilight the best out of the series. So I am not feeling very inclined to read the other books. However, it did remind me how much I LOVE to read. I don't read very often, mostly because I don't know what to read. I haven't read much since I left college.

It used to be easy to know what to read. I read what my teachers told me to read, and whatever Jack Weyland book I hadn't already read. (Random side note: I had Dr. Weyland as a professor in college. It was the most interesting Physical Science class. For instance, he came in costume every Friday.)

So, my friends, I need your help, what should I read? If you think I should finish the Twilight series, go ahead and recommend that. Also, my life is complicated enough, I don't want to read anything too deep, and definetly nothing depressing. At this point in my life I am pretty shallow.

12 comments:

Lisa said...

I personally loved the twilight series, but I agree the first is the best. If you are interested Stephanie Meyer has an alternate first chapter to Twilight on her website, all from Edwards perspective. I thought is was pretty neat. I think you should read the rest.....

The Baker said...

okay i can see what you mean about it being over the top, but you have to admit it was entertaining. I think you should read on in the series, I think i liked the 3rd one the best. Have you read the "Something borrowed" and "something blue"? Those are really good. I have NEVER been a reader until the twilight books. shauna didn't really care for them either so you are not alomne.

Kate said...

Oh man! The Jack Weylands, NO!!! I am with you, I liked the book but it wasa just ok to me. I have for sure read WAY better books. Here's some suggestions:
"Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson
"Into Thin Air" by Jon Kraukauer
"Glass Castles" by Jeanette Walls"

I have read all those over the last 2 months and I LOVED them all.

Katrina said...

It's okay - not everyone is going to love these books. However, I have to say that my favorite was the last book in the series. The suspense and the love triangle going on in that last one made it hard for me to put down. The 2nd book New Moon was my least favorite but it was definitely a necessary part of the story. Yes, the whole vampire thing is very over the top but I still LOVED it.

Gaengy said...

Katie read the devil in the white city and recommended it to me. I really liked that book. I am reading Peace like a river by Leif Enger, right now and am loving it. It is well written and compelling without being over the top! I highly recommend it. It is rated highly on the reading book guides and is clean. I am going to start Come be my light by Mother Teresa, I will let you know how that one is. 2 other recommendations are The beggar king by joel ben izzy and dad was a carpenter by Kenny Kemp. I got all of these at the library. Happy Reading!

sacramentostakeclerk said...

I loved Jack Weyland when I was in high school. I read "Charlie" over and over again and I would weep inconsolably at the end every time. Jeesh, what's my problem? I knew how it was going to end! (BTW, book much more satisfying than movie.)

You already know how I feel about Twilight.

Melissa said...

Yea, I am like everyone else. You GOTTA read the other ones. That series is the first I have read since hmmmm, highschool. I do not like to read much but those books were so hard to put down. I liked them because they were really easy to read and I didn't have to think much about them. I enjoyed just being entertained. LOVE them!

Natalie Que said...

I read the other two books. New Moon was slow but as mentioned necessary in the plot but I HATED, repeat HATED Eclipse. Many, many people have said it was their favorite of the series. Not me! I was so furious with where she took the story that I wanted to throw the book across the room. I don't think it will appeal to you at all because it is more over the top and impossible that Twilight. I really liked Twilight though, and I will finish reading the future books just to see what happens.

Ashleigh recommended a book called "These Is My Words" to me and I read it right after I read Twilight and it was so far superior it isn't even funny. You MUST read it, Edward has nothing on Captain Jack Elliot. I also LOVE the book "The Good Earth" by Pearl S. Buck. It is a must read if you haven't already. It is so down to Earth and real, you will love it.

Ashleigh said...

okay, so i was going to suggest my favorite all time . . . these is my words, but nat beat me. i love this book! i just did someone's taxes names jack elliot and i haven't asked yet, but i'm going to see if there's a relation there. my cousin was pregnant when we read this book at the same time and she ended up naming her baby jack (it was already a consideration before ther book, but still). anyway, read these is my words. the first 70 pages are a little slow, but then you can't put it down.

so i also loved the twilight series (read all 3 in 5 days). i read sunflower, which would probably be up your alley with the jack weyland theme. i'm reading my sister's keeper and it's good so far. my mom thought devil in the white city was quite interesting. i just picked up northanger abbey for book group and my sister-in-law says it's actually her favorite of jane austin's books. okay and one more, but it's a church book. i was really inspired by a heart like his by virgina a pearce.

Gaengy said...

Well I did not want to appear a librarian, with my other recommendations, but Nat suggested These is my words which I loved too and The Good Earth is a classic

Shauna said...

i hated hated hated twilight and all 3 of the books. all they are is glorified jack weyland. and the books megan told you to read were my books so i can give the stamp of approval on them except for a few swears. oops. but theyre cute. One of my alltime favorite fiction books is "my sisters keeper" by jodi picoult, it is truly like such a great book.

i read a ton too so if you have any reccomendations, send them my way.

Shauna said...

also i agree with katie, the glass castle was good. plus its a memoir and real, which is more up my alley. easy read, quick, you will finish it fast but its kind of depressing.