At the risk of sounding like a complete lunatic, I am asking for your help my blogging friends. I have possibly the biggest sweet tooth ever known to man. I am a pretty healthy eater. I don't even really like french fries or chips. I can pass up almost any food. However, I NEED my desserts. I limit myself to one treat a day, but I REALLY enjoy it. My favorite dessert is cookies.Lately I have been obsessing about Chocolate Crinkles. By obsessing I mean thinking about them non-stop, spending hours searching for a recipe on line, then trying 3 different recipes that were not what I was looking for at all. One of the recipes was from Paula Dean. It called for a whole block of cream cheese, plus a stick of butter. How could it not be delicious? But it wasn't and I am getting more and more disappointed and more and more obsessed.
Most of the recipes are similar and call for vegetable oil. These result in a fat, very cakey cookie, which I hate. What I am looking for is a chocolate crinkle like they sold in Canyon View Jr. High's cafeteria. I know most of you have probably never had one, but I haven't been to that school in fifteen years and I am still thinking about them, so they must have been divine. They were flat and fudgy and delicious. And I would say they were more milk chocolaty than dark.
I know somebody must have a great recipe. Please, please help me out. My mouth is watering just thinking about those cookies.

12 comments:
Nicole... You have no idea what this post just did to me. We called them Chocolate Pixies. Those are my favorite cookies that my Mom used to make every Christmas. I have been tearing through my recipes looking for them. I know I have it because I copied it for Kristine's shower. I gave her all of our family cookie recipes. I am sure she left them all in Utah, but if I can find it I will send it your way. It is going to drive me crazy!!!
Nicole I totally remember those cookies!!! Canyon View was a dark year of my life, but I do remember those bringing a little light to my day. haha Sorry i don't have a recipe, but if you find one be sure to pass it along. You crack me up that you have tried so many recipes already!!
Amy, yes find that recipe ASAP! Just kidding, no pressure. I will just be waiting here by my computer until you send it.
Heather, I think everyone's year's that they spent at Canyon View were dark. It was probably the worst school EVER. It was where I was first introduced to the worst teacher EVER, Mr. Dugovic. Except that I think maybe he is tied with my English teacher Ms. Bevans. I hated that school, but the cookies were exceptionally good.
Nicole, I looked through my great american cookie cook book and found a recipe that calls for oil, but it has an asterik and it says use your favorite crisco product so you try substituting shortning since the recipe says you can
1/3 c crisco oil* or shortning
1 1/2 c sugar
1 1/2 t vanilla
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 2/3 c flour
1/2 c unsweetedned cocoa powder
1 1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 c confectioners sugar
combine shortning, sugar and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at me speed of electric mixer till blended. Add egg and egg whites. Beat till well blended. Stir in flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt with spoon. Place confectioners sugar in shallow dish or large plastic bag.
Shape into 1 inch balls. Roll or shake into conf. sugar until coated. Place 2 in apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 350 for 7-8 min or until almost no indentation remains when touched lightly. do not over bake. cool on baking sheet 2 min, remove to foil sheet to cool completely.
Let me know how they turn out if you try them and if they are what you are looking for also if Amys are post the recipe for all of us! Good luck getting your fix!!
From a fellow mom who needs my chocolate fix at least once a day -this might be close to what you're looking for. It calls for butter, not shortening. I made them once and we loved them. When you find the "perfect" recipe, be sure to share! This one is in a cookbook called Mary Engelbreit's Cookies Cookbook and they call it Chocolate Crackles. The picture in my book looks much like the picture on your post and the description reads: "These rich, fudgy cookies develop a cracked surface during baking. For a more dramatic look, coat them generously with confectioners' sugar."
Makes about 3 1/2 dozen cookies
1 1/2 cups all-purp. flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/8 tsp. salt
10 TBS. (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp.
3/4 c. granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
Sifted confectioner's sugar for coating
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, Lightly grease two baking sheets.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, beat the butter and granulated sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then beat in the vanilla. Gradually add the melted chocolate, mixing until blended. On low speed, beat in the flour mixture.
4. Shape level tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls and place the balls 2 inches apart onto prepped baking sheets. As you fill each baking sheet, roll the balls generously in confectioners' sugar.
5. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until the tops are cracked and the cookies are just set. Cool for 1 to 2 minutes on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
Mmm, I think I might have to make some of these myself! :)
So are you sharing your mess-ups?
Anne, of course I will share. The first two kinds I made for a party, so they were all eaten up. I still have some of the 3rd batch in my freezer, you are welcome to them. I will be trying the recipes that I have gotten so far this weekend. I only make dessert once a week, because I have no self control and eat cookie after cookie.
Okay Nicole - I found it!!
It is a combination of what everyone else has sent so let me know which recipe is the best, please...
Chocolate Pixies
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup butter
4 sqs unsweetened chocolate
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
Powdered sugar
Mix together flour, baking powder & salt. Melt butter & chocolate in saucepan over very low heat. Remove from heat & cool. Blend in sugar, add eggs beating well. Stir in flour mixture & mix well. Chill dough at least 15 min. Shape cookie dough into balls using 1 Tbsp of dough. Roll in powdered sugar & place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 300 for 18-20 min.
This recipe is my Moms and it is probably about 30 years old. A real family favorite.
I have one if your still looking...
Meg
Meg, sure, send it my way. I am going to start trying them one by one over the weekend. I am so excited!
I loved those cookies from Canyon View! I haven't had one nearly as good since. Sorry I don't have a recipe for you! When you find one send it my way!
Hey, I'm with Mom, even if something call for oil, I often substitute. I melt butter-flavored crisco, margarine, or butter.
I remember those cookies and they were good, but I found the pink sugar cookies exceptional and those were my true passion. I have gone through a similar thing with them and I did find the recipe. It is on my blog, you should post it here when you find the crinkles recipe so that we can have both of them together, it would make a great post.
I don't have a crinkles recipe for you, and I know that is what you want, but the choco choco chip cookies I have on my blog are nothing short of AMAZING. They are not cakey, they are fudgy and chewy. Let me know if you try them, and good luck in your search.
Post a Comment