I didn't do much dating in high school. In fact, I was only ever asked out on two dates. One, was by a guy in my home ward that I made up an excuse as to why I couldn't go that day because he/his family freaked me out a bit. I feel really bad when I look back because now it is obvious to me that he could see right through my excuse and he never asked me out again. And really I am sure it wouldn't have been that bad to just go on the date.
The second date that I was asked on was to my high school's Homecoming dance. I went with Cary Pusey.

Cary has down syndrome and he was in my choir class. He became a bit infatuated with me. He would always come up to me and give me hugs. One day in class, he came up to me and handed me a gift bag. Inside was two tickets to the haunted house that his family owned and a note that said:
Nicole,
I promise not to haunt
you, if you will go to the
Homecoming with me.
I promise not to haunt
you, if you will go to the
Homecoming with me.
It was so sweet and he was so excited. He had a bunch of friends that came with us, and all of the boys fixed dinner for us and then we went to the dance. His group of friends were all so nice and supportive of him, making sure that everything was taken care of for him and we had a great time.

16 comments:
That is WAY precious.
i just love the old school look! fun times!
I went with Dustin Forsyth (in case you forgot he also had downs syndrome)to Prom my sophomore year and had a blast! What a cute picture of you guys. I think Cary "officially" graduated from highschool with my class. He was a crack up!
I was Cary Pusey's Peer Tutor! That is very sweet of you. And probaly made his year and life! You know he still has those pictures up in his room. Who asked you from our neighborhood? Curious :)
You are such a nice person....now I understand why you married Nick! He He He, just kidding!
That is the best story. I'm going to like Flashback Friday!
Oh yeah, I remember this flashback...I especially remember those Payless Pumps...oh yeah.
That is the sweetest thing. I love your dress, hair and everything about that. Why do all prom pictures seem to look the same?
I want to start doing Flashback Fridays... I love that idea.
Yes Cary graduated with our class Heather. In fact, I was talking about my upcoming 10 year and Ansen says the one person he remembers at my 5 year was Cary! And coincidentally I was telling my brother about how hillarios Cary was and how good everyone was to him just today.
Thanks for sharing this. I do believe however you went on at least a couple more dates. I vividly remember following you during one (still so sorry). As far as the neighborhood boy goes were his initials J.L.?
How could I forget? That was so sweet. High School was a different time, it wasn't like now where we can look at you with admiration. At the time, most of those idiots didn't realize that doing something so selfless is the essence of cool.
Thanks for the refresher! And thanks for putting my button up! Looks good! I am not sure people are getting it, since from my Hot Garlic sitemeter I see a ton of people clicking on it. I'm like, no sweetie, you are already here. That is a take home gift to put on your page... It cracks me up! I didn't expect many people would actually put it on their page, but thought I shouldn't not make one in case some people would want to. Anyway, thanks!
Katie, um excuse me but, those are Kmart pumps, not Payless.
So guess what? I went to homecoming with Carey my Senior Year! He was really into running his hand through his hair and saying "have mercy!" And he made our group sing the fight song over and over. He's a sweet date!
This is really sweet!
Awesome post!! I am going to enjoy flashback Friday!
That's so awesome! What a fun memory and your kids will treasure that story!!
Nicole,
That story is so cute. I remember telling me this once before. I love the pictures!!
Meg
Post a Comment