Again I am sorry for the redundancy in this post. We spent what seamed like all three hours in church talking about this. Also for not being as funny as some of you think I should be. I wont disappoint next time. My fantastic mother in law sent this to us and and so I thought that it was worth sharing. I have to say before I read this I was sitting on the fence. I know, I know how could I be sitting on the fence. I just keep thinking how long are we going to have to fight this. A few years ago we thought that we were done since the majority had passed it but no, one judge over turned all of the majority vote. How is that fair. Any way back to before I read this I just felt like fine let them get married and be as miserable as all of us married people. Really just get married all ready and shut up. Then I read this and I realized that the school is going to teach my kids these things. I don't think so. Enough of the rant. Read it and from your own opinion.
Six Consequences If Proposition 8 Fails
1. Children in public schools will have to be taught that same-sex marriage is just as good as traditional marriage.
The California Education Code already requires that health education classes instruct children about marriage. (§51890)
Therefore, unless Proposition 8 passes, children will be taught that marriage is between any two adults regardless of gender. There will be serious clashes between the secular school system and the right of parents to teach their children their own values and beliefs.
2. Churches may be sued over their tax exempt status if they refuse to allow same-sex marriage ceremonies in their religious buildings open to the public. Ask whether your pastor, priest, minister, bishop, or rabbi is ready to perform such marriages in your chapels and sanctuaries.
3. Religious adoption agencies will be challenged by government agencies to give up their long-held right to place children only in homes with both a mother and a father. Catholic Charities in Boston already closed its doors in Massachusetts because courts legalized same-sex marriage there.
4. Religions that sponsor private schools with married student housing may be required to provide housing for same-sex couples, even if counter to church doctrine, or risk lawsuits over tax exemptions and related benefits.
5. Ministers who preach against same-sex marriages may be sued for hate speech and risk government fines. It already happened in Canada, a country that legalized gay marriage. A recent California court held that municipal employees may not say: “traditional marriage,” or “family values” because, after the same-sex marriage case, it is “hate speech.”
6. It will cost you money. This change in the definition of marriage will bring a cascade of lawsuits, including some already lost (e.g., photographers cannot now refuse to photograph gay marriages, doctors cannot now refuse to perform artificial insemination of gays even given other willing doctors). Even if courts eventually find in favor of a defender of traditional marriage (highly improbable given today’s activist judges), think of the money – your money – that will be spent on such legal battles.
And think of all the unintended consequences that we cannot even foresee at this time. Where will it end?
It’s your children, your grandchildren, your money, and your liberties.
Lets work together to protect them.
Join with us in walking precincts and phoning voters to vote Yes on Prop 8.

13 comments:
Thanks Nick for posting this...I could see some of my kids sitting on the fence and I did not want to preach and try to persuade them to my passionate feelings on this issue, but this really got to me too. When I thought of my little grandchildren being robbed of their ability to be children, well it just got to me. I have been out walking precints. Dad and I were given 10 pages with 30-40 registered voters per page. People have been very nice to me as I go to their door and ask them about Prop 8. Even when they have disagreed, they have been cordial and I have politely thanked them for their time. It has been a good experience informing people. What a blessing it is to live in a free country where we are free to express our opinion on things.
I'm really glad you posted this... I missed the class discussion because of my calling, so it isn't at all redundant to me.
I'm also glad to hear about Nicole's mom's experience going door to door. Even though I know how I feel about the issue, I have to admit I've been nervous thinking about going out there. Hearing about your positive experience gives me comfort and more confidence.
Um, I totally apologize if "Gaengy" isn't Nicole's mom. Did I get it right? I hope so.
In fact Gaengy is Nicole's mom. The name stems back for the show Arrested Development. The mom and dad on the show were called Gaengy and Pop Pop. Nicole's sister Natalie thought that it would be funny to have the grand kids call them that. The whole family loves the dysfunction of the family on the show. If you watched the show I am often referred to as Tobias Fünke by the family. I think that it is a look into our family. That is the history.
Melissa, I just wanted to ad that a couple of other people talked about their experiences walking the precincts in Relief Society on Sunday, and everyone said that they had positive experiences.
Thanks mom for sending this because it really did help both Nick and I to feel a little more sure on where we stood. I am nervous to be doing the walking of the precincts too, but I am starting to feel more secure as I am hearing everyone else's experiences.
I'm behind the times on that one. My sister is letting me borrow the first season.. I just need to find time to watch it. I'm reading a rather terrible book right now (you may have heard).
Oops. My comment makes more sense if it comes right after Nick's. I'm (obviously) referring to Arrested Development.
And then in response to Nicole's comment: Man, I miss Relief Society. I would have liked to have been in on all the discussions Sunday, to tell you the truth. I did however have a stimulating discussion with a two-year-old over how fast one should run down the hallways (i.e. not at all).
hey nick, i saw your comment and checked this out. we've have been doing a LOT on this with our stake. Pres. Williams spoke agian to us on the matter on Sunday and brought up a few points that you have covered in your post. its sooo important isn't it.
It just makes me sick. We really need to do all we can to prevent this.
Thanks Julie and Nick for the thoughts. I think it's crazy that a judge could overturn what the voters wanted, we seem to be moving so far away from what the founders of our country intended in so many ways. I also think many states and activists are watching what will happen there and will proceed to try to push this in those places where it is not yet legal.
Nick, I'm glad you posted this and I think I might do the same on mine. It really opens your eyes about what could change. Scary!
And for Nicole. Kent and I went out the first Saturday door to door. I was scared and walked with Kent for a little bit. He asked the question like it was a survey. It made it easier to get answers and made it non-confrontational. It helped me a lot and Kent and I both felt better after we helped.
Funny bringing up prop 8 and arrested development. The first line of the first show of arrested development is from Gaengy. She says, "look what the homosexuals have done to me". Coincidence or?................
Thanks for the further clairification of what this Proposition is all about.
Crazy that it's all come down to this nonsense!!
Post a Comment