Thursday, October 11, 2007

So, Apparently I Should Not Take Vicodin

About three months into my pregnancy with Jaxton, I got a hole in one of my teeth. The dentist scheduled an appointment for as soon as I had the baby, since I couldn't have x-rays and he wasn't sure if I needed a root canal. Well, my appointment was for when Jaxton was in the ICU, and I just haven't had the time to reschedule, can't imagine why. So, on Sunday night when we were at my mom's house, my gums started to swell. She thought I probably had an abscess tooth.

So I went to the dentist on Monday, sure enough it was an abscess and I had to have a root canal. I hadn't had a cavity since I was 4, I think, so I haven't even had a filling that I can remember. As the dentist said, I guess when I do it I do it all the way. So after the root canal, he prescribed me vicodin, but I wasn't going to fill it. I have a pretty high pain tolerance, after all, I delivered three babies without any pain meds. I thought it was pretty funny that they give you vicodin for pain for a root canal, but when you have a baby, they send you home with a prescription of 800 mg Motrin. Which do you think hurts more? Hum, I wonder? Nick and my mom thought I should fill the prescription just in case so I did.

So I got home about 7:00, took the vicodin and sat down to feed Jaxton. About a half hour later he was asleep and I got up to put him in bed. I didn't quite feel right when I stood up and Nick said "um, your swaying back and forth." I didn't realize I was, so I tried to stop the swaying, but was unable to. Nick took the baby from me and I attempted to walk to my room, not very successfully. Nick said I looked like I was drunk, I guess I will just have to take his word for it.

I took another one four hours later as it prescribes, I already felt like crap, I figured I might as well not be in pain if I already feel like crap. So 3 1/2 days later I still feel weird. My head is still swimming and I have a headache. I don't know if this is from the root canal or the vicodin, but it stinks!

4 comments:

Gaengy said...

I am so sorry! Hope you get feeling better soon.
Love MOM

Natalie Que said...

LOVE the new template! I need to work on our header, haven't had the time to figure it out so maybe I need your help.

Okay miss "I have perfect teeth", love that you are finally getting yours. Can't wait until you get your first crown! It's wonderful!

Loved your story, very funny.

Melissa said...

Uh, I think you probably remember (more than I do) how I was on Vicadin. Remember? That stuff is crazy! And what a good point about the Motrin and Vicadin. I never thought of it. You're so funny!

Nicole said...

I do remember that now that you remind me. That was hilarious!