Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Best, Softest Sugar Cookies

A couple of people asked me for this recipe last weekend, and I don't remember who they were, so I will post it here, and hopefully whoever it was will see it. Sorry!

I got this recipe from an old ward cookbook, courtesy of Barbara Ostlund. It makes really good and really soft cookies. This recipe makes a TON of cookies. I just frost them and then lay them on a cookie sheet and freeze until the frosting sets and then I stick them in a Ziplock bag, they will last for a few months in the freezer.


1 C. shortening (butter flavored, of course)
2 C. sugar
1C. sour cream
3 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
5 + C. flour

Cream the shortening and sugar. Add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix together baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour (start with just the 5 cups). Add shortening mixture. Add 1/2 to 1 C. more flour (you want the dough to be firm enough to work with, but if it is too firm, the cookies won't be as soft). Flour your working surface and rolling pin very well. Roll a chunk of dough out to 3/8". Cut with cookie cutters. Place on cookie sheet sprayed with Pam and bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes (don't let them get brown). Frost.

Frosting: (I like a lot of frosting, and so I make this big recipe of frosting, if you don't like so much frosting, you could halve this recipe)

1 C. butter or margarine
3 tsp. vanilla
8-9 C. powdered sugar
milk

Soften margarine or butter; mix in a few cups of powdered sugar. Add vanilla and a few tablespoons of milk. Add remaining powdered sugar and enough milk to make the frosting smooth, but not too runny.

4 comments:

Natalie Que said...

Hey, we're going to have to have a great sugar cookie bake off to see who would win out of these or my sugar cookie cut-outs {mine taste like the pink cookies from OCJHS}. We might as well have a Toffee-off and Pie-off while we're at it!

Lisa said...

We just made sugar cookies today, although my kids always eat 1/2 of the dough.....Your recipe sounds delicious! We will have to try it sometime.

Melissa said...

I was one of the ones who asked for this recipe! Thanks for posting it, Nicole. I'm historically terrible at making homemade frosting so I'll have to see if I can get this one to turn out. Thanks for the yummy cookies last weekend and for being such a great visiting teacher.

Mel said...

YUMMY!! Sugar Cookies are my favorite!!!