Thursday, February 28, 2008

Go Me!

Please indulge me for just a moment while I brag. This may not be that impressive to some of you, but I am pretty proud of myself. I did something yesterday that I have never done in my whole life.

I ran 1 whole mile without stopping!

I have never done this before, not even in Jr. High. Every week in Jr. High when the P.E. teacher would announce that it was time for the "fun run" (which by the way is a completely stupid name, it was only fun for the P.E. teacher and 5% of the students) I would groan. I was the girl at the back of the pack every week. I would come in close to last place.

Before I got pregnant with Jaxton, I was walking everyday. I started incorporating short bursts of jogging. I eventually worked up to being able to go 5 minutes without stopping. I wasn't able to even do much walking while pregnant with Jaxton. Last month I started my training sessions again. I started out being able to jog for 2 minute bursts. I added 30 seconds every day. And finally yesterday, I was able to go a whole mile. Yay!

I am also at the half way point of my weight loss goal. I have lost 18 pounds since September and have 17 pounds to go (if I hadn't gained 6 pounds over the month of December, I would nearly be there, but that is beside the point). I am well on my way and hopefully I will be able to fit into my "regular size" clothes by summer. Go me!

16 comments:

Anne said...

Nicole, that is awesome! You go, girl. You totally inspire me. I've been in an exercising "rut" and I just need to get up and go. Good luck, and like I told you the other day, you really look FABULOUS! :)

sacramentostakeclerk said...

That is totally awesome. Can I convince you to join us the first weekend in May?

www.parkwayhalf.com

There are multiple events to choose from... It will be fun. (That sounds wrong, doesn't it? But it will be!)

Kristine L. said...

Hooray! I can't even do that and I don't think I have ever been able to. I am destined to fatness cause I hate exercising. Ugh. But GO YOU!

gnomeswife77 said...

That's awesome! Yeah Nicole!

Gaengy said...

Wow! Now that is impressive. I never have been a jogger, a good walker, but jogging no. That is so great. Before I got sick, I was trying to do what you said to jog for small bursts of time. I will have to try it again if I ever get rid of this cough and sore throat. 1 mile that is great and congrats on your weight loss! You look better now than ever! I am proud of you...Give your self a sqeeze from me!

Lisa said...

YEAH!! I seriously doubt I could do that! I do the eliptical for 45 min. every day but put me on a treadmill and I would collapse after 5 minutes (probably after 2...)! Good for you, and you look great!

Anonymous said...

Great job Nicole! That is awesome, I am so proud of you. Brag away.

Anonymous said...

that is very cool!!!! i was talking to someone in my ward about after i have my baby, to train for a marathon, but we will see. you go girl! maybe Nick can go running with you some time.
Anna

The Clifts said...

I want to be as physically fit as you are! I can't jog for 1/4 mile without wheezing! You'll have to tell me how you worked up to that.

Mel said...

Nicole you are awesome. Running a mile is hard!! I totally remember the fun run. I actually came in 1st once because I was trying so hard. I can barely run a mile either even though I work out almost everyday. It's a skill in and of itself. Congrats on the weight loss!! You are dedicated!

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Melissa said...

Congratulations! What a huge accomplishment. I've heard that running is great once you get past the painful beginning part!

Nicole, if you send me your email address, I will send you an invite to view my blog site. I received a spyware comment on one of my posts this morning. I didn't realize it was searchable for anyone and posted as a blog on the blogspot homepage until I went into my settings. So I am going to make it a private blog at least for a little while. My email is melissa.sanders@gmail.com. Love, M

Englishfam said...

Nicole-
Running a mile is hard work! Believe me, the first two miles of any run are hard then your body gets used to it. Even when I did my half marathon it still wasn't simple!! GO you! I remember hating the fun run. I walked the whole way one time and did it in like 17 minutes. Sad! Congrats on the weight loss as well. I need to get my fat butt in gear. I am starting my training for another half marathon after I get back from my cruise so I better be able to run three miles(which is where the training starts you at) Yikes!!

Natalie Que said...

That's awesome! Way to go. I really wish I loved running, walking is okay. Good for you, that is so great! Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

That is INCREDIBLE. It's so dang hard to lose weight and also to keep up the momentum to exercise. So YOU GO GIRL!

Katrina said...

That's awesome! I don't think I've ever been able to run longer than 2 minutes straight so what a feat! Today is my first day of trying to get back on track physically so thank you for the much-needed inspiration! Keep it up!