Monday, April 14, 2008

Funniest Family Home Evening

The other day as we were walking home from school, the conversation went like this:

Hallie: Avery, may I please ride your bike?
Avery: No!
Hallie: Please!

Avery: No!
Hallie: Mom, make her let me ride her bike.
Me: No, that is Avery's choice, if she doesn't want to share, than that is her choice.

A few minutes later:

Hallie: Mom, when is it Family Home Evening?
Me: Monday.
Hallie: Is it my turn to do the lesson? I have an idea.


I didn't realize the two conversations were related, but tonight Hallie gave her lecture, er I mean lesson. She had the following visual aid, I know you can't see it very well, but it is a picture of me, Hallie and Avery. Avery is on the left with her bike and yelling "no oh!" On the top it says, "not thinking of others."


This is how her lesson went:

Hallie: We need to think about others instead of ourselves. I mean the other day I wanted to ride Avery's bike and would she let me? NO! I just don't think this is right. We are supposed to think of others and that is just very selfish.

Nick: Well, I don't think we should really single anyone out, maybe we should just think of ways that we can think of others. How can we think of others and not be selfish?

Hallie: What do you mean? Avery was not being grateful for me, that is why I am talking about this.

Nick: I know, but can't we think of good examples instead of bad ones and not pick on anyone?

Hallie:
(very annoyed that Nick is hijacking her lesson and all of the work that she put into rebuking Avery) Well, I guess, but what about what Avery did?

She is such a little mother. The other day she told her cousin that she was "not being very grateful," because she didn't say thank you. What seven year old says that?

19 comments:

Anne said...

Nicole, I'm totally LOL and crying from your hilarious story! That is the best. I love those "theme oriented" FHEs! Good for Avery for holding her ground with the bike. Poor second child just wants to have one thing to herself! I should know, I'm a second girl, too! :)

Lisa said...

Too funny! That little Hallie is a fireball! I love it!

Sheri said...

HILARIOUS!!! Hallie is a girl after my own heart---what a kick in the pants! Thanks for sharing

Shauna said...

i would be really really annoyed if nick hijacked my lesson too.

sacramentostakeclerk said...

The visual aid is the best part. That is a really funny story. I love it!

The Baker said...

how funny is that. i am just just dying. good job on the family night. you are a great example

Anonymous said...

Don't you love how she has to draw about how she felt? that's a picture worth saving.

Gaengy said...

Thanks for sharing...I loved Hallie's visual aid...I think she is going to be a writer, an actor or a dancer when she grows up!

Kristine L. said...

Hahahaha... I love how she thought this whole lesson plan out. Like, ok, what can I do to teach her a lesson? Oh I know! Plan an entire family home evening lesson that is a few days away with a visual aid... yes... this will be perfect.

I probably would have just punched Hannah or bartered something else. Like, well fine. Don't let me ride your bike. I am never going to let you play with my things again. Much more effective way of solving your problems...

AnneMarie said...

That sounds just like Eva, a long memory for injustice aimed at her! Good luck, it's sooooo fun!:)

Anonymous said...

This cracked me up.

Shauna said...

i think hallie and i are very similiar. I had a roommate who had a hairy mole on her lip and instead of just telling her that it was unpleasant and no one would want to get near it, i decided i would call some of my aesthetician friends over and we had a spa night and everyone got their lips waxed. She did too, it was a great idea i thought. no ones feelings got hurt.

hallie is smart.

Natalie Que said...

That girl! She is just too funny. I love her picture, hilarious! I can just see her drawing it up in her bedroom, with her tongue curled around her top lip in concentration -kind of like Ralphie on A Christmas Story. So did Avery just take it lying down or did she get all defensive? Hilarious. This is the reason we have blogs!

Katrina said...

That's so funny, I love it! The picture is my favorite.

Jenny G said...

That's hilarious. Kids minds crack me up!

Melissa said...

Well, she did have a point! Too bad ALL kids didn't think like Hallie! She's hillarious!!

Nicole said...

In typical Avery fashion, she was completely aloof. I don't think she even noticed what Hallie was talking about, or if she did, it didn't seem to bother her at all.

Mel said...

Hallie what a crack up! Hey it got her to do the lesson! I loved how Nick was objective and trying to keep the peace. That is so classic! I love this story.

Anonymous said...

I was just surfing the web for creative and funny family home evening lessons and this blog popped up. GO Haillie! If you can't get what you want, theres no solution better than a public rebuke :) But seriously Dad, way to turn that lesson around. I'm just curious, did she get to ride the bike in the end? S. Lowe, Maine