I have always been what I would call frugal and what my sisters call cheap. When I was eight years old I saved up all of my money and bought myself a whole bedding set, that I bought on sale. Over the next few years I furnished my room all with my own money. I bought two wicker headboards and a matching wicker chair. Seriously, what 8 year old does this?
I used to drive my sisters crazy because I was such a freeloader . As soon as we would get our allowance, they would splurge on treats for themselves. Not me, I would save every penny of it. Then when they were eating their treats I would beg for them to share with me. When we went to the mall they would buy themselves something to drink, not me, I knew where every drinking fountain was.
Well, I think my sister Katie (it is safe to say that she is the one who is most irked by my cheapness) will be especially excited to hear that I have taken it to the next level. That's right, I've become a coupon clipper. Not just one of those casual coupon clippers either. For instance, this is my new coupon holder.
Yep, that is a photo organizer that is made to hold 180 photos, and it it completely full. I now carry this with me wherever I go. Now before you start mocking me and my coupon binder. Check out all of the stuff I got for FREE last week using various coupons and rebates.
If I had paid full price for all of these things, it would have cost me about $85. I think this is the best hobby ever! Nick says he has never seen me this excited. I have also taught my mom the tricks of the trade and we call each other to share our latest deal scenarios and to compare prices. If you are interested in learning more, this blog is the place that helped me on my journey to being the cheapest person on the planet.

17 comments:
I am so looking at that website, I am all game to save a dollar and totally impressed by all the stuff you got for free. You may be my new hero
WOW!!! I can't believe you got all of that for free----that is amazing!!! I use to coupon clip years ago when you got double coupons at some stores---I saved some good money. I should start doing it again. See what an inspiration you are!
I'm so glad you posted this. I'm a fellow cheapskate and when you were talking about your coupons the other day I was intrigued. I can't wait to join you. Keep us all posted!
Another good website is pinchingyourpennies.com I went to a couponing class and they gave us this site. I occasionally use coupons and am trying to be better about it but I never seem to have the stars align enough to get all that free stuff like you! Way to go! And it's not all hamburger helper!
Well I am not going to full on mock you because it is really smart. I understand the whole coupon thing...for me its not really worth my time, but for families i totally get it.
I am glad you are being frugal... but at the end of the day though, you are PAINFULLY cheap
i totally want to start doing this it just seems so overwhelming. i am going to look at that blog, thanks for sharing you are awesome!
Wow, I am not sure if they have coupons here but this is enough to spur on an investigation. How exciting! With Ben's help, I am not almost as cheap as you, but not quite. We are just "frugal" in different ways. I could really get excited about this too. Especially if a cute pink coupon organizer book is involved. Way to go, that is some serious booty you have there. Great job!
Way to go Nicole, every little bit helps. Mom is now an addict. But she has gotten free movie rentals, and lots of stuff totally free.
For those who want more info, I added some of the websites that I think are the best in my links section. Check them out.
That's awesome. I would love to be more like that. I just signed up to get the $5 off Pampers coupon in the mail from the web site you recommended. I can certainly use some improvement in the area of frugality so thanks for the tips! Part of my problem is I get hooked on certain brands and don't like to venture out and try other things. Do you just use whatever products you can find coupons for or do you just clip coupons for things you already use?
Katrina, I have never really been brand loyal. There are some brands that I absolutely will not use, but there are very few products that I have to buy a specific brand of. To get the best deals you do have to be flexible.
I clip coupons for anything that I might possibly use and save the rest unclipped in a file. After doing this for a few months I am more aware of things that regularly go on sale and so I know what to clip.
Over the last few months I have also learned a lot of things. For example, most stores will let you use a manufacturer's coupon with an in store coupon. So for instance Target has a coupon for Pampers. $5 off of a package of wipes and a package of diapers coupon, and a few weeks ago there was a manufacturer's coupon from Pampers for $2 off of a package of wipes and a package of diapers. So you buy 1 pkg of wipes and 1 pkg of diapers and use both coupons for a total of $7 off. Even better, wait for a week when pampers are on sale for even more savings. Does that make sense?
Walgreens does the same thing. They have a coupon book in the front of the store, you can use the coupons in that book on top of the Sunday newspaper coupons or coupons you print off of the internet. Plus sometimes there are rebates that work with these deals too. Here is the link to a how to on getting the best deals at Walgreens: moneysavingmom.com/money_saving_mom/2008/03/ive-been-shoppi.html
Hope this helps!
I am a coupon clipper myself and can't wait to check out the link you use! Do you use Ebates for online stuff? I love that site!
I am so excited Nicole turned me on to this stuff...brings back the ole days when you were kids and I did shopping smart. I am now shopping smart again thanks to Nicole! I get so excited about the deals I am getting! Plus its a great way to get your storage going girls!
I got all excited about this about a year ago, bought the binder started ordering 6 local newspapers to cut out the coupons. I was into it for about 2 weeks and gave up. It was too much time for me and it was very stressful and not easy to shop. I am glad there are some of you out there saving money, for me it is just not worth saving the money :)
Good for you! I will be checking out those sites, thanks.
this is sooo something i can relate too, though we miss out on the double coupons here in ut (totally took advantage when we were in ca). i was at walmart and the check out lady made a rude, negative comment about my many coupons, but then when i had $12 back in my pocket i was the one laughing. can't wait to read more. oh and i have a coupon binder too.
OK woman, so I am totally into this here too! It seems like it is getting more and more poular! I have the "BINDER" and the coupin sorter and I love CVS! Brandon LOVES this new hobby too!!! Happy shopping!
Post a Comment