Monday, July 28, 2008

I've Been Robbed!

Someone stole a couple of my posts from my other blog. They just went to my blog, copied, pasted and published them as their own. On one post this person said thanks to me but gave me no link, but one post is published without any credit given back to me in any form.

I put a lot of time and effort into frugalisfab, with very little financial reward. So to have someone just rip off my work makes me a little hot under the collar.

This person does not have an email address to contact them and so I am left here in a quandary wondering what to do. I am sure (by this I mean I hope) that this person doesn't know that what they are doing is wrong and so I don't just want to blast them with a nasty comment on their blog. But on the other hand, I really don't want someone taking my work and publishing it as their own.

Anyone have any helpful advice?

12 comments:

sacramentostakeclerk said...

I don't think he or she has left you much choice but to call him or her out in public. I might explain that normally you would look for a more private way (say, email) to handle the problem. Still, offer that as explanation and NOT apology. Then state your case.

But, you should definitely wait for more experienced bloggers to chime in... I'm not sure if there is any established blogging etiquette in this situation?

Natalie Que said...

What are you talking about?! Possibly don't know what they are doing? When you CUT and then PASTE something from some one else's site, that is not a gray area. It is BLACK and clear as day that that is stealing. There is no, hmmmm, I wonder if that crosses the line... It's blatant.

How did you find out? Did you happen upon it or did some one alert you?

That is crappy. I am with Melissa -they NEED to be called out. It is illegal, but like you are going to go get a lawyer about it. LEAVE A BIG NASTY COMMENT that leaves NO QUESTION that you don't put up with it.

It is such an easy thing to do, and it usually isn't very likely that you will be caught or if so there is not much you can do about it. So you need to do what you CAN do, or else you won't be setting a good presidence.

Lisa said...

That is crazy! I agree-- call the person out. You do a lot of hard work on your blog and it is not fair for other's to plagiarize. Didn't we learn about not copying in kindergarten?

AnneMarie said...

I ditto Natalie. This person totally know what they're doing and they need to be told that it's not acceptable. How did you find out?

AnneMarie said...

Actually, maybe you should tell us the blog address, then we can all tell her how we feel. [I must have some pent up frustration:)]

Ashleigh said...

Nat said it. There is no room for a misunderstanding here. Call them out now. We want names and sites. Let us handle this for you. . .

Mel said...

That is really frustrating! I am so sorry, it's annoying when things like that happen! I would just leave a comment that you are aware of it and to please stop!

Gibson Family said...

Just like everyone else I want to know who it is. Give us a blog address so we can all leave a comment. It is so not fair that they take credit for your hard work.

The Esslinger Family said...

I think you should let us take care of this, who ever it is, I know people in low places. :) I can't believe someone would be so rude! Hopefully this person knows you personally and is reading how wrong it was and how many people stand behind you so watch out!
Andi(Katie's sister)

The Esslinger Family said...

PS Thanks for the "button" information!

Anne said...

ok that stinks. Did you tell everyone the address so we can complain on that person's blog? I've been out of the blogging world for several days, so update me. I love your Frugal is Fabulous blog... finally just added it to my feeds. Yay!

Nick said...

I am going to stop looking at this blog unless you start posting something. How else am I going to know what goes on while I am living my single life style.