When we moved into this house, most of my feelings for the previous homeowner could have been filed under the category, "what were you thinking?" or "what the?" The backyard conjured up these feelings the most. She made 3 foot wide flower beds around the entire parameter of the back yard. And then she filled parts of the flower beds with bark and hideous plants, such as oleanders, which are also poisonous. Then there were other parts of the flower beds that were filled with red and white lava rock, repulsive.
We tore out all of the plants when we moved in, mainly because we didn't want them to poison our children. Two weeks ago, we neglected our children for three days as we did the back-breaking work of removing all of the rocks and bark. We then planted 12 tomato plants and still had quite a bit of room. So we also did 3 kinds of squash, green onions and green beans. Being the cheapskate that I am, I decided to use seeds instead of plants, I found seed packs at Walgreen's for $.20 a piece, you can't beat that. I had never used seeds before, but, most of them have been successful so far.
Poor Jaxton, still in his PJ's, and feeding himself a bottle under the trampoline (it was the only shady spot in the backyard).
Between the yard work two weeks ago, and my trip to SF last week, I hadn't been grocery shopping in I don't know how long. So today I had the really choice experience of grocery shopping with Avery, Hayden and Jaxton. Hayden has such a hard time not picking up everything and staying with me and then when we hit the bulk foods section, oh my goodness. It really isn't her fault, they have unwrapped candy right at her eye level. Then both girls needed to use the restroom, and just our luck, the bathroom was closed for cleaning. No one was in the mens bathroom and Hayden was doing the pee pee dance, so we used the men's bathroom. It was lovely.
Anyways, I needed hamburger, but I found that it had really jumped up in price. So I was looking at my other options and ground turkey breast, which I had never had before, was actually cheaper, so I thought I would give it a try. I found a recipe for turkey burgers online and made a few adaptations. They were so delicious, plus the ground turkey is way better for you. So it is a win-win. Here is my recipe:
Southwest Turkey Burgers
1.2 lb. ground turkey breast
1 T. chili powder
1 T. grill seasoning
1 T. cumin
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 medium bell pepper, chopped (I used an orange bell pepper)
Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands. I grilled mine on my indoor grill and they took a little less than 10 minutes.
They were pretty spicy, but my kids really liked them. Hayden, who usually does not eat dinner unless we are having cold cereal, even ate her whole hamburger. I served the burgers with sweet and spicy sweet potato fries that I baked in the oven. I had never made anything with sweet potatoes either, but the kids loved them. The girls even gave me a round of applause for as Hallie said, "the best dinner ever."
Anyways, I needed hamburger, but I found that it had really jumped up in price. So I was looking at my other options and ground turkey breast, which I had never had before, was actually cheaper, so I thought I would give it a try. I found a recipe for turkey burgers online and made a few adaptations. They were so delicious, plus the ground turkey is way better for you. So it is a win-win. Here is my recipe:
Southwest Turkey Burgers
1.2 lb. ground turkey breast
1 T. chili powder
1 T. grill seasoning
1 T. cumin
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1/4 medium bell pepper, chopped (I used an orange bell pepper)
Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix with your hands. I grilled mine on my indoor grill and they took a little less than 10 minutes.
They were pretty spicy, but my kids really liked them. Hayden, who usually does not eat dinner unless we are having cold cereal, even ate her whole hamburger. I served the burgers with sweet and spicy sweet potato fries that I baked in the oven. I had never made anything with sweet potatoes either, but the kids loved them. The girls even gave me a round of applause for as Hallie said, "the best dinner ever."

9 comments:
I got tired just reading about all that hard work.
Can you come fix my yard now?:) And the dinner would be good too!
Those burgers sound good, we'll give them a try. That is a pretty specific measurement, 1.2 lbs of ground turkey, is that supposed to be 1 1/2, or really 1.2.
I am sure your yard is going to look great and I am so jealous of your garden. We will be planting one in the spring, can't wait! I did the same thing with the labeling. It is all so clear to you when you are down in the dirt! Then you give it a few days and you have no idea what you've got going anywhere. Your green beans remind me of the time I was pregnant with Laine and CRAVING green beans {by craving I mean I thought I might be able to cook them and eat them without throwing up, but still wasn't sure} I planted my garden on the roof of our apartment building in Seoul and had them dug up twice! Those dang Koreans, I could have just rung their necks but they didn't care! I finally dug up a patch of grass with the help of our security gaurd and made my own plot to plant a 3rd time!
Jaxton looks quite cozy under there, that was funny. Glad the kids survived the 3 days!
Nat,
I liked the green bean story. Yes the measurement is 1.2 lbs. The packages of ground turkey come at that exact weight at my grocery store. I thought it was weird too.
Nicole I applaud you for doing a garden. We tried for several unsuccessful years---I finally gave up. When you have more tomatoes than you care for--give me a call. I would gladly take some off of your hands!
Look at you, getting that green thumb going! When I get a house maybe I can pay you to do my yard, I hate yardwork more than anything! And those burgers sound good, once I am up and at em I will give it a whirl!
Hey I actually think you did look great in your garden picture! Looking lean and trim!! Glad you got your garden in...dad put our tomatoes in before Kristines wedding, so our tomatoes are over the tomato cages now and have lots of little tomatos on them. Won't be long now. Your yard looks wonderful!
Good job Nicole. Luckily for me it is not time here yet. But May is right around the corner. I love gardens and especially fresh tomatoes. You do look great! Love the kids fending for themselves. That is how we get anything done! I have tried Ground Turkey and Carl is just a no go. I think it is all in his mind. He feels like it has a weird taste no matter what spices I put in it.
Dang woman ... you've definitely been busy. Those turkey burgers sound really good. I'll have to try them.
You know, Buffalo (Bison) tastes just like beef and it's actually better for you than chicken and turkey. You can buy ground buffalo at Trader Joes. It's a little more expensive but REALLY good!
Post a Comment